Saturday 13 January 2024

Windmills and Bamboo? - Introduction

As a working artist recently living in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, I have gradually focused more of my work towards the community involving art classes, working in schools and people from all areas and backgrounds at events and groups around Nuneaton, Bedworth and Coventry. The process has and continues to been very fulfilling. Creativity can potentially transform peoples lives into many forms and at the same time enhance my own experiences that absorbs back into my own work. 

I feel that the word ‘community’ is a much needed word in today’s society for a lot of reasons. The ongoing impact from Covid, the cost of living, political and environmental uncertainty worldwide have all played a part in the increasing amount of anxiety and overall well-being of people in general. I would say that from my observations as a facilitator, a majority of the people I have worked with so far have expressed those general sentiments.

Creativity is a great way to filter out all of these emotions, looking at everything in a wider perspective. We can simply see things for their aesthetic value by taking in a deep breath and observe everything that is around you. Inspiration can emulate from both positive and negative  experiences, thoughts and feelings that turn into an intrinsic value for which yourself and others can benefit from.

Thus the reason why I have set up this blog. Recently, myself along with 3 other local artists have been given this wonderful opportunity to create an individual sculpture for a community project in Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire. The primary material for the project is Bamboo (I will go into the reasons for in future posts) which I have chosen to integrate with other complimentary materials that are commonly used in our society. 

Briefly my plan, which is to be completed by June/July 2024 is creating a large scale sculpture in the form of a Windmill. Yet this windmill isn’t harnessing the power of wind for energy, but to harness the power of imagination. The skeletal moving structure will house individual artworks made by the people of Nuneaton and Bedworth.

I suppose it is like making individual cells of artwork, decorating the bamboo mill that conveys what ever reflects their creative processes. This makes for a moving creative community art gallery that can be inclusive, diverse and deliver numerous stories and experiences from our communities of Nuneaton and Bedworth. 

I also want to embrace the local and almost forgotten industries such as weaving, ribbon making, blacksmithing and other artisan crafts that were abundant in the past and bring these methods back into todays society helping to recapture a new sense of value and belief in all our lives.

Going forward I will post all of my research, updates and information regarding this exciting project, so my synopsis for this journey is:

Blowing creative energy into our sails, Weaving new stories and Forging new relationships and community spirit. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Windmill Sculpture: Scale model work in progress.

More work in progress so far on the scale model for the Bamboo Windmill Sculpture. I have been playing with the ratio on the peg gears and d...